Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Weekend Baking

Friday was a baking extravaganza. I had three events to bake for: 
  1. Father's Day
  2. A friend's birthday
  3. A housewarming party. 
So I did it all in one go. It was pretty intense. I made that salad in the interim because I had eaten far too much buttercream frosting. On a personal high note, I did manage my own buttercream frosting without a recipe! It was delicious and rich and, yes, far better than the stuff that comes in the jars that I used to swear by.

1. First I made these for my dad.

2. Then I made the moist-est chocolate cake I have ever sunk teeth into. And, double yes, I am going to see my dentist tomorrow. The secret to this cake by food blogger Jenn from Foodess? A cup of coffee + buttermilk. So good. So so so good. 

I ate lots o' the batter too. It was chocolate-coffee flavored, what else was I supposed to do!?
So I don't frost cakes very often. Stop judging.
Yes it still tasted amazing even if a 4-year-old could have frosted it.
That's me with the cake. I threw some princesses on it because my friend is obsessed with Disney.
Then we ate it. It got rave reviews.
3. Then I made some funfetti cupcakes that I adapted from the recipe over at Kokocooks. This is a fantastic solid funfetti cake recipe, and the story that goes with it is really touching.
You actually turn the eggs into a meringue for this recipe, which I found interesting. It made the cupcakes super light.
Sprinkles are so pretty.
No, seriously. They're REALLY pretty.
Now imagine that the cupcakes turned out like this except in cupcake form because my friends ate all these before I got a chance to take pictures:
Photo via Kokocooks
Now that's what I call a good weekend!

Flour and Sugar,
Carrie Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment