Sunday, June 26, 2011

Impromptu Southern Pound Cake

My friends and I had a pool party this weekend. They all drank a few beers, got hungry, we had strawberries. So, naturally, I whipped up this pound cake for everyone to enjoy. I'd like to note that I was sober, just so everyone knows that I was not making a pound cake this delicious after I'd had a few Coronas in me. That would be major skillz that I probably don't have.

Find the recipe below!
Close-up (with the Coronas of course)
The final spread
All together now (I just want to note there were a LOT of us there, okay!?)

Simple Southern Pound Cake Loaf
The original southern pound cake gave "pound" cake its name. It included one pound of butter, one pound of sugar, and one pound of flour. It also didn't include any baking powder, as the fresh eggs helped it rise like a charm. Sounds delicious... and a wee bit heart-attack inducing. I prefer this modified version adapted from Southern Living

Ingredients
2/3 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cups sifted flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 325F. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
3. Sift together the dry ingredients. Add to the butter mixture, alternating with additions of the milk and vanilla.
4. Pour batter into a greased and floured loaf pan about 3/4 full (the cake rises a lot).
5. Cook for 75 - 90 minutes, or until you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.

Serve with fresh whipped cream and strawberries, blueberries, or other seasonal fruit.

Flour and Sugar,
Carrie Melissa


No comments:

Post a Comment