Monday, June 13, 2011

Friday's Baking Experiment Gone Awry: Mini Blackberry Cobblers

So, last Friday, I took it upon myself to experiment a bit in the kitchen after I got out of work early for summer hours. I was thinking I'd make something wholesome and delicious, with a burst of summertime berry flavor: Enter blackberry cobbler.

Then I was thought, Wait. Maybe I don't want to put in a whole cup of refined white sugar. So, instead, I used Maryville, TN honey instead. Boy was that a mistake. I mean, the honey tastes brilliant, but I forgot to halve it as I had cut the rest of the recipe in half. My berries were swimming in honey. Wooooopsies.

I managed to save some of the honey and put it in a separate, blackberry-fuzz honey tupperware container and adjust the measurements pretty accurately.

In the end, the cobblers were deeelicious, but so messy that I didn't bother bringing them to the party I attended that night. Instead, I put them in some Corningware and called it a day. Then ate them when I got home from said party at night. :)

Here is the original recipe from In Erika's Kitchen. I replaced the sugar with honey (all you do to add honey into a recipe is to use the same amount in place of the sugar that is called for, and then reduce the liquid - in this case, milk - in the recipe by 1/4 cup).


Traditional Blackberry Cobbler 

  • 2 cups blackberries
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
  • 1 cup self-rising flour (or 1 cup all-purpose flour plus 1/2 tsp baking powder)
  • 1 cup milk
Toss the blackberries with the sugar in a large bowl. Let sit 30 minutes. 

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Put the butter in an 8-inch square baking dish and stick the dish in the oven. While the butter melts, whisk together the flour and milk in another bowl, plus any juice that's come out of the berries.

When the butter is melted and bubbling, remove the pan from the oven. Pour the flour mixture over the butter - do not stir. Pour the sugared berries on top of the batter, again without stirring. Return the pan to the oven and bake 30-40 minutes, until the cobbler is bubbling and the juices threaten to escape the pan at any moment. If you're thinking ahead and you hate cleaning your oven as much as I do, put a piece of foil on the rack under the cobbler, just in case the juices succeed.

Cool 15 minutes in the pan before serving. Whipped cream is always welcome on top of blackberry cobbler.



Flour and Sugar,
Carrie Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment