Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sugar-Free Almond Milk Cherry Clafouti

A lot of clafouti recipes call for both almonds and milk, which I think is dumb considering I always have almond milk in my fridge. And it's delicious. And it's low cal. And it tastes like almond dreams. Which is probably why it is called Almond Dream. God, someone hit me.

This is a SUPER simple recipe that I threw together just before my friends came over for a gossip sesh last week. We ate it with a bottle of sirah, which complemented the egg flavor and the sweetness of the cherries. If you like egg flavor a lot, you can use a third egg instead of the flax seed, but I thought the flax balanced out the breakfast-y-ness (that's a word, bitches) of the clafouti flavors.

I made this sugar free because my dad is pre-diabetic, and I still wanted him to be able to enjoy the leftovers without worrying about ingesting copious amounts of refined sugars. If you want, replace the sucralose with real sugar.

Again, sorry about the photo quality. I was back at my parent's casa without my camera.

Halve your cherries nicely. If you have a pitter, good for you. I do not, so suck it (I guess I'm feeling aggressive tonight. I had too much sugar!)

I added blueberries to mine. You can add any complementary fruit really. I just had some sitting around. They will turn the whole thing blue if you don't eat it all in one sitting, however.

This is about how covered it should be with batter. 

I sprinkled on some almonds on the top halfway through baking. This is ready to eat.

Sugar-Free Almond Milk Cherry Blueberry Clafouti
Recipe adapted from Got No Milk

Ingredients
6 oz of dark cherries, pitted and halved
2 oz of blueberries, whole (alternatively, replace with 2 oz more cherries)
1 tbsp plus 1/2 cup sugar substitute (we use Splenda)
2 eggs
1 tbsp flax seed + 3 tbsp water (together, this replaces 1 egg)
1/2 tsp almond extract
pinch of salt
1/3 cup AP flour
1 1/4 cup almond milk (I used Almond Breeze brand)
powdered sugar, for sprinkling on top

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Grease a 10" round baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp sugar. Then cover evenly with fruit.
3. Mix together eggs, flax + water, almond extract, salt, and the remaining sugar. 
TIP: If you don't have an electric mixer, use a whisk and blend quickly to get a lot of air in the batter and fluff it up. 
4. Add almond milk and then sift in the flour. Beat until smooth.
5. Pour over cherry mixture. Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 
6. Allow to cool and then top with powdered sugar. 


No comments:

Post a Comment