Thursday, July 14, 2011

San Francisco Meets Southern Chocolate Shortcake

I know I'm a bit late, but I thought I'd share the dessert I made for July 4 this year. It was a wonderful, gooey yet cakey shortcake recipe that I adapted from Paula Deen's classic chocolate strawberry shortcake. She put RE-DICULUS amounts of sugar in hers, so I toned that down a bit, and I also used sustainable cocoa and King Arthur cake flour. So it was feel-good bad-for-you food. Yummsies.

This flour is the BOMB dot com.
I also used Clover buttermilk. So fresh.
Still in the pan. It cracks a little, but don't be concerned.
I had to summon my strength not to put my face in it.

The final result. Wish I had my nice camera, but my desperation to eat overcame my desire to take photos.

Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake
Recipe Adapted from Paula Deen's Savannah Country Cookbook

Ingredients
2 cups cake flour
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup shortening (or butter)
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 egg whites
1 quart of fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
whipping cream (drool)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350F. 
2. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl (except strawberries and whipping cream). Mix it up, scraping the bowl constantly. If you have a mixer, mix on high for 3 minutes after incorporated, otherwise just stir really fast to try to get a lot of air into the batter. Build up those arm muscles!
3. Pour into a greased and floured 13x9 inch pan
4. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 
5. Cool completely (the hard part). 
6. Cut into slices with a very sharp knife. Serve with a ton of whipped cream and sliced strawberries. 



No comments:

Post a Comment