Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Speakeasy This Friday: Take Your Pie to the Face

The time has nearly come for the house party of the year: Speakeasy as Pie.


I am so incredibly excited - and even more grateful - for everything that is coming together and all the people who have made this possible. Maria and I are in awe of how our communities of friends, neighbors, and random acquaintances with big hearts have supported us throughout this process.

On that note, I want to give an insanely loud shout-out to my best friend Marie, whose excitement and ideas and creativity have really made this possible for me. I don't mean that lightly. I never would have been able to do this without her support. Actually, I never would have gone to New Zealand if it weren't for her either, which would never have led me down this path. Aw, I'm getting all choked up just thinking about it. The point is that I have her to thank for so many things in my life. Love you, girl. 

You wouldn't believe how much love and prep and time has gone into this from so many different people. Here is a small sampling of what we've been doing over the last few weeks to prepare:
  • Endless recipe-testing to get the world's best pie crusts and fillings
  • Logo and flyer design
  • Menu and cocktail consultations
  • Collecting an insane number of pie dishes
  • Picking up furniture and rugs and tapestries; candles, lanterns, and jars
  • Crafting endlessly
  • Clearing out the entire backyard
  • Eating Oreos for dinner because I'm too stressed to cook anything
  • Contacting charities for our raffle
  • Clearing out the garage and pretty-fying it for everyone's enjoyment
  • Praying to the weather gods for sun and warmth this Friday (it seems to be working so far!)
  • Making a dozen pie crusts in rapid succession
  • Looking up from all my baking to see the lights of the city through our big, wraparound kitchen windows, then closing my eyes, breathing deeply, and getting back to work
  • Yoga to stay focused. Lots of yoga.
Now it is time for me to begin all of my prep work for the food and settle into the excitement. Get ready to dance and party and drink delicious drinks and take some pie to the face!

Can't wait to see you all on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment